Tuesday, July 21, 2009

BLISS in a moment....

So BLISS is the word of the year....are we tired of it yet?

I was trying to explain to a co-worker today that BLISS is found in the simple moments of life. He had asked me the question, "What makes you happy"?

Since we were on a huge car ride back from a client, it gave me time to think and we began chatting about BLISS.

On the way down, he had shared that he'd left his wife three weeks ago; how she was reacting and why he had done so. No matter how hard I try not to be, I always seem to be the resident therapist for EVERYONE in my sphere of influence.

So there we were, driving back talking about little things that make us happy.

I told him how my children and I have been spending a ton of time at the lake every evening after work. I can sit for hours reading and watching the sun go down. The delightful laughter of my children just makes everything ok somehow. That is an instance of BLISS as the Russian word defines. It is also a moment of BLISS as the Chinese word presents. Funny how both those meanings intersect in those moments. Just noticed that tonight by the way.

My co-worker made mention that I have a "long haul" to get to work. I told him I take the back country roads and rarely encounter traffic. I shared that I take this way simply because of a fence. Every morning, the spiders have woven a new design on the wooden fence. If I time it just right, the sun is hitting the dew and it glimmers. I don't ever recall it looking the same in the more than a year that I have driven that route.

That is a moment of BLISS to me as we might define it here. Granted it only lasts for a half a mile, but it is peaceful and fills me with joy. Of course, within fifteen minutes I'm at work and whatever peace I was feeling is long gone, but still every morning I get this moment of BLISS.

Somehow, I think we should grab all the BLISS while we can even if it's in an instant.

No comments: