I haven't done much with BLISS lately. Too much chaos and crap and I sometimes end up losing focus.This weekend I saw video on YouTube about the New Zealand Maori HAKA. It's a battlefield dance of sorts that is meant to intimidate the opponent. They still use it at the beginning of sports games although I found videos of the Army, Navy, and a police station doing it.
Still, it made me wonder again why so many languages in the South Pacific don't have a word for BLISS. Yeah, my mind makes those leaps.
Ok, they live in an island paradise, I get that. I suppose they are "living" BLISS. Although, I doubt that even living in paradise is perfect all the time and that they never lose direction with their lives.
New Zealand is a thriving beautiful country. Have you seen Lord of the Rings?
The Maori have three words that kind of point to definition of BLISS. Maybe it's complicated in their language because BLISS is complicated.
tatau pounamu (noun) - enduring peace
taurakuri (adjective) - prosperous, at peace, undisturbed, free from distractions
waikanaetanga (noun) - tranquility, equilibrium
This is a people that traditionally greets by breaking all personal space barriors.

I was able to find picture after picture of them still doing it today. I don't know why I find this so interesting.


I pondered this all weekend. Why do some cultures, my own as an example, need to have so many words and concepts for BLISS and other cultures don't have any and it's really a stretch to even conceptualize it in their language.
Is it because of their connectedness to the land and each other that they don't need to have a word for BLISS?
I know that right now, I feel very disconnected. Not leaving the house because I have no need has made for a disconnect in my life. At the same time, I've found BLISS to be elusive at best and completely non-existent at times. What I was passionate about doesn't give me any at the moment. I don't like that.
Is their sense of culture and focus on the land what keeps them grounded so that there is no need for "formal" pursuit of BLISS?
I'm really not sure, but I do know this. I intend to start using this phrase with my children, "If you don't get it done, I'm going to go all HAKA over you".
Here's the video that started this thought process so you can check it out.....



2 comments:
"and completely non-existent at times"
I can relate.
LOL, I like that greeting! How you been girl?
Post a Comment