.jpg)
We went back to the old house yesterday. One last day to move the furniture and the last of boxes. We also needed to get the cats.
Imagine my horror as I drove up to the house to see some of my furniture sitting at the curb with a sign on it...."Anything for $5".
Yes, the neighbors had broken into my house and rummaged through every room. They had stolen my son's x-box, digital camera, his high school class ring. We had dishes gone. Two boxes of toys that were packed. My rocking chair. We are still trying to assess how many other things are gone.
Ironically, they had piled a boatload of stuff by the front door, obviously coming back for more. They had taken one of my old purses and stuffed it full of my identity documents. They even messed with Diesel's ashes.
Super Sam was in tears because something special that his brother in Iraq had given him was gone. FooFoo Faith's room was ransacked. Reminator was the one who lost the most.
Sweet Mighty Max sat on the front steps with me while we waited for the police. He said, "You know how I look when I'm mad". "Yes", I said. "Well, I'm so far past that".
One of the neighbors said, "They have a storage room with a padlock on it. I'll break it off and you can see if any of your stuff is in it".
We got back dishes, pots and pans. Reminator's class ring. Inside we found several of our electronics stuff, but no x-box.
The men showed up to move us when the policeman was there. They were very sweet and moved what was left of our big things that I couldn't move by myself. They were very kind to my children.
Earlier, I had explained to the neighbors what that x-box meant to my son. It was purchased in Japan by my other son who is in the Army and given as a gift.
At about 7:30 pm as we were finishing up for the night, one of the neighbors walked up carrying a bag. It was the x-box. He told an elaborate story of a friend calling and blah, blah, blah.
All the cords are missing, but we have the x-box and somehow that is good.
In the bottom of the bag, was a pad of my banking checks.
We are going back one more time today. Between dealing with the neighbor, the cop, and digging through stolen property, we ran out of time yesterday. We need to repack some things and try and find one of the cats that is missing. She bolts for the door and...well....she is gone.
I will be filing charges. I have a case number. I told the cop that its time for them to pay. Ironically, most of them already have arrest warrants out. Wow, big surprise there. He told me that if any of them come home while I'm there, to call and they would be picked up.
I feel moments of anger, mostly because I'm a live and let live kinda gal. I want to get moved in here and never look back. I hate that old house. It is a horrible place and while it served it's purpose, it is not a good place.
One more day at the old house. New life begins tonight. We can't wait.



11 comments:
My Goodness! what a nightmare! now I fully understand why you're moving out! how are these people??? I hope you're fine and you'll get back all you things! They should be arrested and you should tell police about your dog as well. They need to pay for all the harm they did to you and your family!
I really hope you're fine.
I'm so sorry! That just pisses me off!
Jeanette,
OMG - my mouth was open for most of your post.
I am angry now too.
I am so glad that you and your family is all safe now. I am glad that you have a new book to write. (which I cannot wait to read)
I hate people that steal. It just makes you feel violated.
If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, email me. I will listen. =o)
Jeanette,
I live in Chicago. I wish I lived closer so I could come over and help you out. My prayers are with you and your family.
Nancy
P.S. I don't know you (although I feel I do), but I'm definitely available to talk.
Nancy
Wow, I'm just angry for you! I am so glad you are getting away from these low-lifes! I can't believe people can be so selfish and worthless. I'm so sorry! Praying things start looking up.
I cannot believe they did this to you! We all know your neighbors are jerks (to say the least) but this is horrible. I am so sorry. I really hope they pay for what they have done to you. I'm about ready to come after them!
p.s. I have a little blog award for you on today's post. If you have time, stop by. I know it's dumb compared to everything you are dealing with, but I hope it makes you feel a little better to know that I think you are inspiring!
Jeanette, I can't believe you have to go through this on top of everything else.
I'm SO sorry.
I'm glad that the last line was positive, what a great outlook.
I too wish I was nearer to you, because I would have helped you move, and I would do anything I could to make things right for you and your family no matter how small. Your kids seem very wise and have their heads on straight. They're right. You guys WILL be fine.
Make sure your new address is not revealed on any of the police reports or anything that gets mailed to these former neighbors, as I would not put it past these cretins to try to rip you off at your new home or otherwise harrass you by flattening tires or something like that.
I am so sorry this happened to you and your family. They are terrible, aweful people and I know they will get it in the end, but Cheese and Rice!!! What is wrong with people now a days.
Prayers and hugs to you!
Lori
That's really awful.But you exude such strength it's admirable.
awesome blog.
Post a Comment