Saturday, August 29, 2009

Broken Wings & THE Weekend


When I move into a house, I always buy a fairy. It's not like I think they have powers or something, I just think they are beautiful and lend a tone to the home.

The fairy from the last house looked sad and forlorn....as if she was crying. She was the house I recovered in for two years.

I bought the one for this house a couple of weeks before we began our move.

What I didn't realize at the time is that she "matched" this house perfectly. The color of the dress she is wearing matches the walls of the house....a delightful yellow. The moon she sits upon matches the color of the counters in the kitchen.

Yesterday morning I knocked her down. It was an accident and I still don't know exactly what I did but she dropped about five inches to the counter.

Both her wings broke. She remained in tact otherwise.

When it happened, I caught my breath. My instant thought was, "Oh my gawd, that is a terrible omen for today. What is going to happen in this house?" I instantly corrected myself. I told myself that I'm in store for only good things and the dread that I now feel is just my past creeping into my present.

Off to work I went. I haven't blogged yet about why I lost my job. When I do, I'm sure most of you will find it shocking. I've already spoken to my friend who is an attorney. I'll tell that story when I can think about it and not cry.

For now, I want to talk about the fairy. Last night, when my family was trying to come to terms with the loss of my job, as my daughter and I talked she held the fairy.

She wanted to know if I was going to buy another one. I asked her if we throw people away when they break. Never was her answer. I think we should keep her and display her proudly. Even with broken wings, she still has her smile and looks peaceful. She still sits proudly on her moon waiting for the next thing. I think we should hang her with the rest of the faeries and enjoy her anyway.

Today is the anniversary of the hurricane Katrina. This is the anniversary of several personal hurricanes for me.

Four years ago today I left Texas. I was running from abuse. I was running period. You can read about it here .

Tomorrow is the two year anniversary of the day that Nyles jettisoned me. You can read about it here .

Now I've lost my job. Somehow I find it interesting that it occurred on this weekend.

I suppose I should be a heap on the floor. Reality is...45 minutes after I got home I'd already applied for unemployment.

I also had negotiated a severance package getting four weeks pay. That is a miracle because in 15 years they have never paid a severance package at all.

I had also called my boss because I wanted the assurance that he would sign off on my getting unemployment and not fight it in any way. He emailed me in writing that he would.

My lupus is flaring. The pain I'm feeling is excruciating. The children let me sleep in. Thems good people. But still I can't stop to be sick.....

Larry the Lizard needs crickets.

The girls, aka the cats, are still at the old house and need to be moved today.

Reminator needs new shoes.

Today is the last day of our move. We will be arriving at 1 pm to finish up packing. The men who are coming to move the furniture will be there at 4 pm. By tonight, we will be home in this house.

Tonight, I will make dinner, laugh with children, hug animals, anticipate my new job and delight in my life.

Life goes on and I refuse to have a bad day. I refuse to have a bad life....broken wings and all. The fairy just won't let me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the attitude to have!! Keep your chin up my dear, something wonderful is just around the corner. Now you have time to put your house in order and do things exactly like you want to.

Take this time to make that house your own. As always remember that your friends love you.

hugs
Tracy

Mademoiselle Deva said...

Hun I keep my fingeres crossed that you will put everything in order. I hope you are fine. I believe that everything happens for a reason so maybe everything you've been put through lately will give you an amazing time/profit soon!

Remember that with every door you close, you open a new one.

bisous. deva.

Cinder Rail'lee said...

OMG, I'm sooo sorry about your job =(

Let me know if you need anything, I maybe states away, but I'll be here for you if you need to talk OK?

Glad you got settled. I loved how you told your daughter, if people are broken do you throw them away?
YOURE AMAZING!