Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Are You Insane?

So I have a neighbor...one man. He used to live with his wife, but she left in mid-April. She is now homeless and being a crack addict...well use your imagination. Since then, there have been about thirty people through his house.....living there.

If you don't know the story, my house is a duplex...a house turned into a duplex. As a result, the power, water and gas are all on one meter. My landlady was responsible for all of the utilities, but she decided to let the house be foreclosed upon and...well...she hasn't paid anything since last December. I have paid everything for both units since January. I didn't mind at first because I was buying the place and the neighbors prior to the people now were really quite nice and I had intended to keep them.

The new ones moved in late last year and it has been problematic ever since.

No amount of negotiation has resulted in anyone paying anything for the utilities. Each new group of people takes the tact that I need to "sit down with them and talk". Problem is if they don't pay theirs, mine gets shut off. Talk is good, negotiation is better.....no action sucks in every situation, but especially this one.

So today, I called the man who lives there at work. He's been fired.

I needed to go and pay the water and electric so I thought I'd swing by the house thinking that I'd let them know that I was going to pay their bill....again.

The person who answered the door was new. Another someone new.

Conversation went like this:

Me: Have we talked before?

Her: No

Me: How many people are living here?

Her: I'm not living here I'm just staying here.

Me: I need to talk to someone who is living here.

A female voice from the bedroom: Can you come back later, we are all still sleeping.

(It was 1:30 pm)

Me: No, I'm going to pay your utilities again. It's a total of $740. I want some money and I need it now.

Bedroom: I'll have some money in a couple of days, come back then.

Me: No, I need to know when you are going to pay and how much?

Bedroom: I'll give you $300 in a couple of days.

Me: I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood. I said $740. You told me you were going to talk to your roommates and tell me what the plan is last week.

Bedroom: I just told you what the plan is.

Me: Can you please come here so we can talk about this?

New voice from the other bedroom: Can you just go away you f**** b*****? Are you stupid or something, we are trying to sleep here?

Me: I'm sorry, you can't possibly be talking to me you disrespectful idiot. I'm trying to get your bills paid.

Lady at the door: Let me call Bob.

(She gets on the phone. Who the heck is Bob?).

Lady at the door: Bob will be here in 20 minutes.

Me: I've taken off work to go and pay your bills, I can't wait 20 minutes to talk to someone else.

2nd bedroom voice: For gawd's sake lady, if you'd just leave us alone we'd work with you.

Me: I've been waiting for someone to pay since January. I think I've left you alone quite enough.

Male voice from 2nd bedroom: Look lady, we paid you something this weekend.

Me: $50....thanks so much, but your bill is $740. Why is this so hard for you to understand that?

Lady at the door: I don't have any money, but I have a food stamp card, I can take you and buy $20 of groceries. I also have a $50 prepaid visa card I'd bought for my boyfriend who is in jail....you can have that too.

It was at this moment that I completely lost it. I started yelling....about my children needing things....about having to take off work....about them being in bed at 1:30 in the afternoon....about five cars parked on my lawn....about growing up and making their own way in the world.

Then I remembered.....

I have a new house .... I have children who love me .... I have an amazing son and daughter-in-law .... I have a great life.

Of course that didn't stop me from plotting revenge at the end of the month. Leaving the water on so there is flooding downstairs in their place. Placing a large slab of meat in the vents. Won't do it, but it made me feel better.

Living in this situation has taught me just how devious, irresponsible and horrible people can be. Living in this situation has taught me just how much good is in my family. Living in this situation has shown me that I am resourceful beyond compare.

These people....all of them....will forever be the leeches of the world. I, on the other hand, am getting ready to fly!!!!! Party at my new house September 1st, you are ALL invited.

6 comments:

Cinder Rail'lee said...

Okay call me wicked. Call me evil, but I'd put fish in the vents.
Littlr buggers!

Kelly said...

That's insane, I would have completely lost it on them! Just keep counting your blessings and remember that one day, they will get what they deserve.

Jeanette said...

I confess, I did turn their electricity off at the breakers. Can't figure out a way to turn their water off without turning my off.

I'm trying to think of something that doesn't cause damage because I don't want it to bite me in the butt, but at the same time, I'm trying to leave it up to God.

In my heart of hearts, I'd like to go postal on them.

Anti-Supermom said...

Augh - what horrible stuff to have to go through. I'm with you, I'd want to go postal too.

Magaly Guerrero said...

This is a great post, very interesting topic and beautifully written. I've worked in the social service sector for quite some time, I understand your pain and the bliss you feel when you compare your life to others less fortunate. It is kind of nice--in a strange way--to see that life might suck at times, but it sucks so much more for others.

I hope this people pay their bill one of this days, it isn't fair that you have to do it for them. Something else, if they have public assistance maybe they have a case manager too. Who knows, this person might be able to work it so that the utility money goes straight to the proper companies. I know this isn't your job, but like you title suggested: we need to work harder to keep the welfare system going lol.

KK said...

People are the problem! How crazy! Love that button :)