Thursday, August 20, 2009

Normal?

I went out to dinner with someone tonight. Someone NORMAL. And yes, I put him under the microscope, I've been with disordered people....it's what I do.

He is so NORMAL. Did I say that?

I actually put an ad on CraigsList. I do that periodically because I'm bored and have a ridiculous need to observe human nature. Of course it gives me tons of blogging material too.

Did I tell you he was NORMAL?

Now I usually am looking for an exit strategy 4.2 seconds after any date begins, often asking myself why the heck I'm doing this when I can be home cuddling children and my dog.

Still, I get bored, in goes the ad and then next thing I know I'm on a series of dates with completely weird people validating the fact that I will be single FOREVER.

NORMAL....this man was NORMAL!

So dinner.....three hours. We laughed. Talked about things best left to the third or fourth date (kids and ex's) and just generally had a good time. A great time.

He asked me about my writing. I told him about my book. Articles I've written. Even my blog.

He said, "Let me get this straight. You write a blog about narcissism.".

Me: "Yes, recovery from narcissistic abuse is the hardest thing to get over. I write so that I can get it all out and perhaps help someone else".

Him: "A blog about your experience with narcissism".

Me: "Yes, yes it is, yes I do".

Huge pause....I could tell that we were both coming to the same conclusion. Ahem....a blog about my experience with narcissism is a tad narcissistic.

I laughed and said, "It may be the only place on earth that it's all about me".

At the end of the evening, I said, "Shall we do something like this again?"

Him: "Yes, I'd like that. I gotta think of something social for us to do so you'll open up".

Me: "Open up?"

Him: "Sometimes you are evasive when you answer questions, you are scared, rightfully so. You just need to get to a place where you realize I'm no threat".

Oh boy, someone who may get it.

As he walked me to my car, he said, "I'll call you".

I drove out of the parking lot. Cranked my music and sang all the way home. When I got home, there was a message on my cell phone, apparently the music was exceptionally loud.

"Hi, just wanted to thank you for the great company. I had a lot of fun and would like to do it again. I know I'm calling fifteen minutes after we parted, but I didn't want you to spend one minute wondering if I was actually going to call you. Let's do something again and you are going to have to help me come up with something. Give me a call". (My paraphrase)

I waited a bit, mostly because I needed to put my mommy hat on. I called. We chatted for a few minutes.

He's just so NORMAL.

Of course, I'm up at 3:30 am blogging about it. Perhaps, I'm not so NORMAL. Too funny.

7 comments:

Cinder Rail'lee said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm soooooooo happy for you!
This is WONDERFUL NEWS!

Allen said...

Jeanette,

I am so excited for you! OMG there are real men left!

Allen

glnroz said...

i hear a smile,, didnt I?

Mademoiselle Deva said...

CONGRATULATION! that's what we like a NORMAL guy!!! I want to hear part 2! you need to blog about it! ahh!
so happy 4 you!

btw.... insomnia's killing me or maybe the heat... it's 2 am here in Europe:)

Kelly said...

WhoooooHooooooo!

KK said...

Fabulous! Does he have friends? hehe

Mademoiselle Deva said...

I just wanted to tell you that I put you on my blog roll... thought you wanted to know:)
bisous and have a great day today!