Saturday, August 8, 2009

Happily Ever After

Today, I was hit by an emotional truck.

More than 24 years ago, I left a man who had tried to kill me. I left in the middle of the night with a hand full of diapers, my purse, and my oldest child who was just a baby.

I raised my son, for the most part, by myself. He has grown into an incredible man whom I am so proud to know. He has married a beautiful, loving woman. He has a career in the Army. He does the right thing even when it is the hard thing. I don't think any parent could ask for more.

His biological father disappeared from our lives. The last time I actually KNEW where he was, he was in the state penn in Texas. I, on the other hand, had run to the Pacific Northwest as far as I could go.

Over the years, I have tried to get child support. He always disappeared and soon enough that child grew into a man.

My son, at times, has been curious about his biological father. I've always told him when he was ready, I would help him find him.

This past week, I found him.

I sent the information to my son and his wife made contact. She has been talking with this man's wife. He has been sick over the years with cancer and his pictures show a man very broken. She was told that he is struggling with an addiction to pain killers. Something that he struggled with 24 years ago.

The bitterness I feel says...good....you deserve it. Not something I'm all that proud of really, but I've yet to hide anything from this blog so there you go.

This morning Sairbear, my daughter-in-law, called to thank me for finding him. She talked about how excited she was and how lovely his wife was.

My reaction was that my heart literally stopped. I'm sure of it. I said, "Please be very careful".

Sairbear went on to talk about how people change and it would be more family to love. I began to cry and told her I had to get off the phone.

I was angry and hurt. This man who had almost drown my son once and had tried to kill the both of us in a car wreck had gone on to have a "normal" family. He has children and grandchildren.

He has someone who loves him, is there for him, someone who is with him trying to make things easier for him.

I, on the other hand, have gone on to relationship after relationship where I was given beautiful promises only to be told I was a disappointment, only to find out the relationship was nothing I thought it was. And I have gone on to fight bitterness with a passion.

Another debris field has presented itself in my life. Something else from my past that has to be dealt with, now. I hadn't realized that all I had ever done with that relationship experience was bury it and try to build a life with my son. There was never time to fall apart.

So there I was today, I'd just been crying buckets and 19yo Reminator reminded me that I had invited him to lunch.

As we sat at the restaurant, our waitress was very nice. Reminator let me know they knew each other from high school. It was pretty obvious that she didn't recognize him. I asked why he didn't say something and he said, "Mom, that would make her feel bad and I don't want to hurt her feelings like that".

That is when it hit me again. My children are incredible people.

Yes this man will get to know his fabulous son and his delightful daughter-in-law. Yes this man avoided all the pitfalls, worries, and pain of raising this child. But you know what, I didn't. I got to see every success. I got to kiss every boo boo. I got to see that little colic baby grow into a man anyone would be proud of and no one can take that away from me.

I have a beautiful family. I have a new house. I have a career. I have pets. I have encouraging friends.

Yes, I would have rather been an at-home mom in a nice house with a husband that loved me to the moon. Happily ever after didn't happen in the normal way for me. At 48 years old, it isn't going to happen for me. I have mourned that dream repeatedly.

Still, I have to celebrate the BLISS in my beautiful life. I have a life to be proud of and a life to be enjoyed. I got happily ever after....a BLISSful happily ever after.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs)))

How emotional. And...from my experience in an abusive relationship (prior to my husband)...people don't change. Unless he underwent years of intense therapy and self-growth then I highly doubt he has become this all-mighty father.

Case in point. My husband's father was abusive and left them when he was 2. Never heard a word from him his whole life. About 2 years ago my husband's half sister wanted to know about us and get to know us. We decided we couldn't hold her father's actions against her and had her come visit (she's a teenager). She is a mess. Totally neglected. Told us how their father ran over her mother. Complete mess.

So I don't really know why I'm telling you this. I guess to hope it makes you feel better and make you realize that you were an awesome Mom to leave him like that. My husband sits here and wonders what his life would have been like if his father would have remained in it, and it would have been horrible. He would not be the amazing person that he is today.

Anonymous said...

My heart weeps for you, my mind is hard and fast for you and my prayers will be shared with you. I have a similar situation with my daughter only she turned on her family that she grew up with and has now attached herself to the father who left her life 12 years without so much as a how are you. It's deeply frustrating to put it mildly.

Let's pray that your son does not get hurt and he remembers the love you share between each other each and every time he speaks of his father.

For you, I pray peace of mind and still of heart. Tammy

Jeanette said...

Thank you both. It is a scary time, but I'm stong and I believe that all things work for good. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

KK said...

What a day! I don't blame you for any of those feelings, but good for you for working through them. Don't be surprised if you waver back and forth between the good and bad feelings (I do) but I'll pray the good wins out.

Cinder Rail'lee said...

Cry ..and cry,(always makes me feel better with snot hanging out my nose and makeup all over) it releases those pent up hurts, and Jeanette, YOU WILL FIND SOMEONE. Be happy that the man you used to know has changed for the better. YOU RAE A WONDERFUL, CARING, LOVING MOMMY. Your mate is there and all you have to do is pray and wait. He'll come. I PROMISE!

HuGZzzzzzz

Kimmy @ kimmythingy said...

:( I'm so sorry that you had such an emotional day.

You know what? This man may now have a family and a life that seems pretty good from the outside - but he has to internally deal with his past behaviour, and particularly if he HAS changed, that must haunt him - and the guilt of his actions will be with him forever. YOU have a clear conscience, and the knowledge that single-handedly you raised a happy, well adjusted son. You got to be there for all the good stuff.

I think you definitely won!

miss j said...

As they say on Guam .... Ai Adai! I think this translates to "dear oh dear".... not to be confused with "Hafa Adai" which is "hello" and "Lam Adai" which transaltes to a harsh 4-letter-used when you are REALLY mad.

I will find the Chamoru word for "Bliss" for you :-)

Anyway... you are such a strong woman! Whether he has someone in his life or not doesn't matter as much as knowing that you DO NOT want to be that poor suffering woman. Your life rocks ... just as it is.

Anonymous said...

Jeanette, I think any woman in your position is going to feel hurt and betrayed. But it sounds like you are not going to let those emotions rule and for that I send you big kudos and applause! Truly mature. And if your son and his family benefit from this, then what else can you do but be happy for them? Of course it's easy for me to say all this. But my husband was in a very similar situation as a child and as an adult made contact with his bio dad. He ended up learning that his dad was very consumed with himself and they never did become close or understand each other.

Wishing you much peace with this situation - it sounds like you're there already. :o)

Unknown said...

What a story. You should indeed be proud of your son and of what you have accomplished. Your ex- is getting his in this life(cancer) and may have more waiting for him in the next. You go girl!

just passing by from SITS and saying hello; hope you'll do the same.