Sunday, August 9, 2009

Holy Cow! Who Am I?

I think I may have inadvertently become someone I don't like. I didn't mean to, but here I am...

My neighbors....again.....you can catch the previous engrossing story in my sidebar.

Anyway, a new girl came to my door today. She was probably in her young twenties. She played the "coy, I'm so cute, bat your eyelashes" ploy. Told me that she was locked out of downstairs and needed to use my phone to call Ben (who the heck is Ben?).

Conversation went like this....

Me: I'm sorry, you want something from me?

Her: I just need to get in because all my stuff is there.

Me: Do you have any money for me?

Her: Why would I give you money? It's my stuff.

Me: You people don't pay for water, you don't pay for electricity, you don't pay rent. You are basically squatters.

Her: I just moved here from Florida and I don't know what the situation is downstairs.

Me: Well then why did you put your stuff downstairs? Your boyfriend told me he would have $300 by midnight, but that was four days ago. I'm thinking it's inappropriate for you to ask me for anything.

Her: I just need to make a phone call.

Me: Are you working?

Her: Yes

Me: Is everyone in the house working?

Her: Yes

Me: Well then take up a collection and buy a cell phone so you can get into the house that you aren't supposed to be in.

Her: You are a f***ing b***h.

Me: Why yes. Yes, I am.

I slammed the door.

She has now been banging on the door downstairs for the last hour. It is 1:30 pm so I'm sure they aren't up yet. I've written a post about that one as well.

I used to be a person who would help anyone who needed it. I would twist myself into a pretzel to make the life of another person easier. I am not sure if I feel bad that I wasn't willing to help her or if I feel worse that I didn't even mind her calling me that horrendous name and having no problem slamming the door in her face.

I move in two weeks from yesterday. It is my hope that once I am in my new beautiful place without insane, leech people neighbors, I will be able to find the nice me again. I know she is in there some place. I used to really like her.

7 comments:

KK said...

Good for you for setting boundaries! Don't feel bad.

Allen said...

Jeanette,

Omg, I know what you mean completely. I am having all kinds of problems with my neighbors. So much now that I am blogging about it. It will be posted tomorrow if you want to view it.

Not trying to get off topic, but they killed my flowers this time, before that they egged my house, and before that, they tied a dog in my yard and tryed to blame it on me.

I am over it, and I am happy that you slammed the door in her face. I would love to do that with my neighbors!

Allen

Anonymous said...

"I used to be a person who would help anyone who needed it. I would twist myself into a pretzel to make the life of another person easier."

Dear, I like the new "Where is my money, I will not allow you to walk all over me like a doormat anymore" Jeanette.

The problem with being the "twist myself into a pretzel person" is that you never get back what you give. I understand the giving should be enough, but there is giving to those in need that deserve it and then there are leeches. You are learning to tell the difference and I am so very proud of you.

You are helping yourself by moving, wanting to get healthy emotionally and physically, helping your kids etc. I think too many people in this world rely on everyone else to bail them out of situation instead of doing it themselves.

I see slamming the door in her face as a very good sign that you are putting yourself and your kids first and that is wonderful.

Screw her!!

There is a wonderfully nice person inside you that does help people, she is just growing a backbone :).

Cinder Rail'lee said...

NO DON'T YOU DARE FEEL GUILTY!
I would have kept their electricity OFF and turned off the water too.. LONG ago..
GOOD FOR YOU

Lori said...

Do not feel guilty or bad at all. Sometimes the only way people learn is the "Hard" way!!
Good for you to take your power back!

Be safe

Lori

Enigma said...

Good for you! Twisiting yourself in a pretzel doesn't do anyone good - not you or all the squatters next door. Good luck with your move! I'm also in the process of moving, I can't wait to be settled into my new place.

My heart said...

Once you move the old you will come back. I would have done the same thing too.

Have a great week!