Friday, August 7, 2009

2009 Word of the Year - BLISS


Exploring BLISS again….

Portuguese is such an interesting language. It’s the “official” language of countries like Angola, Mozambique, Brazil, and Portugal. It is also found in Luxembourg and South Africa and a bunch of islands in the Pacific. These countries aren’t found together. It’s a language that just seems to be hit and miss all over the world.

Portuguese is an interesting language for me because I can’t speak it and I come off sounding like an idiot. But I do so love to hear it spoken. It’s like a melody and it’s.…well….sexy.

Here’s an interesting fact about Portuguese. It does not have a word for BLISS. Nothing. The closest you can get is “felicidade” which means “happiness”; which according to most other languages doesn’t mean BLISS.

The closest thing to “felicidade” in English is felicity. One of the definitions of felicity is “something that causes happiness”.

Ok, so that made me ask…..What causes happiness?

Because I’m anal and weird and love reading doctorate thesis’s, low and behold I was able to come up with what the “studies” generally show. Understanding that what causes happiness is about as subjective as it gets.

Happenings in one’s life – There are good triggers, we all have them, and we all cling to them. They are transient and fleeting at best. The only way to have happiness in your life happenings seems to be by remaining grounded and managing disappointments. Avoid disappointments! Yeah right. Like anyone over the age of six months is on an ongoing quest to avoid disappointments.

Biochemical Changes – These are chemical changes in the body caused by certain foods. They make you feel happy and are naturally occurring. Well duh to that. Anyone who has ever eaten a good pie or turkey gets that one.

Things acquired – Oh boy. Not a good one to pursue after all, I seem to see so many people who acquire what they want and then just want more. Transient if ever there was.

So there you go. BLISS once again is something fleeting. I’m finding that having studied this word for eight months now, the “pursuit” of BLISS is just not something that results in lasting anything. Interesting somehow, I must ponder that.

Oh, and if you are searching for BLISS, I’d avoid Angola, Mozambique, Brazil, and Portugal….apparently you can’t find BLISS there at all. (She says with a snicker)
There's more on BLISS in my sidebar....help yourself!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome post!

Anonymous said...

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your dogs passing. I know how this must feel as we lost our two beloveds within 4 months of each other last year. One 12 the other 14 years.

Congrats on your new home. How exciting to be moving forward. Maybe better neighbors.

Brava on your renewel of life. It can only get better getting away from a bad situation.

PErsonal fitness, i'm with you. I need to loose as well.

I'm glad i found you and thank you for having me.
Tammy

Cinder Rail'lee said...

You are amazing love the post and great info!

Mikki Black said...

Wow. Someone ELSE who loves to read doctoral theses?!?!

Honestly, that was a pretty cool post. Thanks for coming to visit me today!

Lori said...

Hello to you,

There is an Award...Dare To Be Great. On My www.whenwelisten.blogspot.com blog and I would like for you to have it.

Please stop by and grab it when you get a chance.

Lori

Allen said...

As you know I worked in Epcot, Walt Disney World Florida, and the walk around the world is the best. I used to enjoy walking around and asking people to speak to me in their language. I found that Brazilians and Swedish language is the best.

Fun times.

I like this post. Thanks

Lisa M said...

Great post! I think the portuguese word êxtase (which means ecstasy) would be better used to describe bliss than happiness. I guess it all depends on how each person views a word...Their life experiences giving a word more of a meaning over another.. What do you think?