Ok, I'm dating....over forty....stop laughing.....
I am truly positive that Starbucks was created to be the place to meet...think about it...Internet dating on caffeine. Not pretty...at all...especially for someone who doesn't drink coffee. I know. My apologies to all you addicted personality types.
So because I have no life right now and I mean really no life....I'm going to share some of my latest forays into the dating after 40 world.
Let me introduce you to....
Truck Driver Man
We chatted on the phone. I have my doubts. (Ok, I always have my doubts when internet dating).
Over our last phone call, he says, call me when you can leave for Starbucks and I'll come right away. Nothing like planning. Hello, it sends a message that you don't want sent if you are unwilling to plan to meet someone.
Now keeping in mind that my ad CLEARLY states that I'm not looking for friends with benefits (a stupid term if ever there was one) or just a one night stand (a stupid experience if ever there was one).
Please don't flood my comments section with lengthy reasons why both methods are fulfilling. I won't agree with you and well....it's my blog.
So I call him. He says, "Well, I'm napping, but I guess I'll come now". It was 2:30 on a Thursday afternoon. Hello?
He was a half an hour late. Strike three....you're out!
As we sat down to talk, I realized the guy was in sweatpants and had not shaved and I'm not even sure he had showered in the last....oh....decade? I immediately began looking for the exit.
Which reminds me, why in all the "how to date over 40" manuals, do they never tell you how to extricate from horrible dating moments? I need a class. My mother taught me never to be rude or hurt someone's feelings. Damn her. The result is I get into these insane situations and can't get out.
An hour later....he says, "Let's do this again sometime". My thought was, "Thank you Sweet Jesus and no, NEVER AGAIN".
I go home, crank up the computer and lo and behold the post Starbucks email has arrived....asking me when I'd like to schedule time for sex. Ahem....cough...cough....gag.
I emailed back a flaming, "No thank you". He fired back a nasty...you are the one who chose to look so sexy for coffee. I was in jeans and a tee-shirt. Must have been the fact that I showered and my hair was clean.
I never responded. He crawled back under his rock.
Is there a way to ask a new acquaintance that you haven't even met yet how often they shower and if they will be shaving prior to coffee? I mean, if this guy had approached me in the grocery store I would have called the cops.
Hey now, maybe I could have gotten the cute LT to show. You can read about that one here... Alarm_Systems_and_Dreamy_Cops .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
"Must have been the fact that I showered and my hair was clean."
This is greatest line I've read all week. Thank you. I'm still laughing.
OMGoddess! Talk about having to kiss toads and paying your dues! I see we are both Jane Austin fanatics, so of course you are wating for Darcy! And why not!! Keep scheduling thos 'coffee' sessions (Starbucks makes an awesome Iced Tea Lemonade -- green tea, sweetened, venti, please-I don't drink coffee either) and rent 'Must Love Dogs, ' and hang in there......stopping over from SITS. Fun blog.
Yeah, I'm 37 and have completely given up! Its just not worth the effort!
Oy!!
Loved envisioning how one would frame that 'do you bathe - regularly??' ? lol
Re: dating manuals - Nina Attwood's 'Be Your Own Dating Service' & 'Date Lines' are some of my favorites; she encourages setting good boundaries & seeking true compatibility! She tells a good story, & has good suggestions for gracefully moving on :)
I was reminded of one fellow I met for lunch (at a cafe in my town) several years ago. His ad stressed how he valued Honesty - yet he neglected to mention he smoked (one of my 'nons!') & after I'd declined a second meeting, invited me to a family gathering - out of town!! How many ways do I need to say 'NO THANK YOU!'
(I think of my youngest granddaughter at 2, when she didn't want to wear a dress 'No Tank do - mama!' as she wadded it up & stuffed it in her drawer!
Yeah, that cute LT . . . .
I feel your pain! In the 100 men I've met in online dating, there are some I wish I'd never had the "pleasure." But I've learned a lot about how to screen them ahead of time, and how to extricate one's self gracefully, and put them in my " Adventures in Delicious Dating After 40" book series. You might find, "Check Him Out Before Going Out: Head Off Dud Dates" and "Moving On Gracefully: Break Up Without Heartache" useful!
Dating Goddess
http://www.DatingGoddess.com
Post a Comment