Friday, February 20, 2009

The No Place

I'm reading a book right now called "Life is a Verb" by Patti Digh.

I've been very meloncholy lately and have been looking for answers in everything. I know that I'm not missing LOML or anyone else for that matter, but at the same time, moving on doesn't seem to be happening for me at all either.

Tonight as I read, the words on the page lept out at me. I would hope that it helps you too.


Sometimes taking flight takes letting go. Letting go takes faith. It all requires wings. And so it goes.

I needed to really let go, not pretend to let go, or hold on to vestiges of it to keep me comfortable. It was a letting go that sent me flying into the space between the monkey bars, where you've let go but haven't reached the other bar yet, the letting go that has to happen before the next bar is in your hand.

As a trapeze artist, flinging myself out into the universe. That moment of release before catching the new bar is called transition. Perhaps it is the only place that real change happens.

As humanitarian Danaan Parry said, 'I have noticed that, in our culture, this transition zone is looked upon as a 'no-thing', a no-place between places. I have a sneaking suspicion that the transition zone is the only real thing, and the bars are illusions we dream up to avoid where the real change, the real growth occurs for us.

I am enamored of liminal spaces, those spaces in between. I spend my days thinking about them, exploring them, talking to people who are living in them.

Sometimes letting go is shedding, like a snake sheds its skin in times of growth. Young snakes, it turns out, shed more frequently than older ones. Healthy snakes have no trouble shedding and tend to shed their skins in one piece. Before snakes shed, they have a period of relative inactivity--are they getting ready? Their underlying new skin is soft and vulnerable to damage. And so it is with humans.That moment when there is nothing to hang on to is the moment when we are most present, most alive, most vulnerable, most human.

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.--Lao-tzu

Jump, and you will find out how to unfold you wings as you fall.--Ray Bradbury

I'm living in that in between space right now. It's not comfortable. I don't like it. But I live with aniticipation of what is to come leaving behind everything else.

No comments: