Thursday, June 18, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Children

We had to pick up the Reminator tonight from work at 11 pm.

As we pulled out of the driveway, my younger three children and I began talking about my writing. The children know that I've been writing quite a bit these days.

Me: I've been asked to write for a couple of websites.

SuperSam (10yo): Does it pay?

Me: Does it matter?

FooFooFaith (13yo): You are a really good writer mom.

Me: I always wanted to be a writer. Just don't think I can do it and make money.

FooFooFaith: Why don't you try?

MightyMax (10yo): Mom, you always tell us that if someone has support and a desire they can do anything. You always tell us that you are our support and desire is wanting to right? I think you should try because if you don't you are a wimp.

Me: What if I don't know what I'm doing?

MightyMax: What if you do and you just don't know it yet? You are trying to be a wimp.

FooFooFaith: I think you should try. I think you would really like it, besides you have a lot to say. It's ok if you don't make money at it, you can still have fun doing it.

SuperSam: Will you try to make money at it?

Me: How about I just try?

MightyMax: Do or don't do, there is no try. (hysterical laughter)

FooFooFaith: Whatever you do mom, we are right here behind you. Right boys?

MightyMax: Just like you are for us mom.

SuperSam: I think you should try to do it for money.

When we picked the Reminator (18yo)....

MightyMax: Mom's going to be a writer and we are going to support her.

Reminator: Ok.

SuperSam: She's going to make some money at it.

Me: I didn't say that.

SuperSam: You should try.

Reminator: What are you going to write for?

Me: I'm may write for a couple of websites and I'm going to revisit my book.

Reminator: You should do it mom. You always tell us you'll kick our butts if we don't follow our passion. Maybe you need a butt kicking.

MightyMax: She just needs to do it and stop making excuses.

SuperSam: I hope she makes some money at it.

FooFooFaith: Geesch Sam, give it a rest. Do what you want mom. Just make sure it makes you happy. That's what you would say to us.

Reminator: We're here to kick your butt if you need it mom.

Once again, my children made me cry.

2 comments:

Echo Location said...

I *love* children. Mine has helped save my life and I know yours do the same.

I hope to read (more of) your writing. I am blessed with blog-buddies who write beautifully.

miss j said...

I love that you're pursuing bliss and doing it through writing.

I'm eager to keep reading!