It's Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week. For more information, visit http://invisibleillnessweek.com/ .
30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know
1. The illness I live with is: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (LUPUS)
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2004
3. But I had symptoms since: 1994
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: realizing that my body is breaking down and I need to constantly adjust because of it.
5. Most people assume: I'm lazy and just not trying hard enough.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: Getting my body moving through the stiffness and pain.
7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't watch a lot of tv.
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: My computer, it links me to others who understand.
9. The hardest part about nights are: Being exhausted at the end of the day and still needing to be plugged in so that my children don't suffer.
10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please) 10 on a good day
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: I try to use a lot of natural supplements.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: VISIBLE, it sucks to be sick and not look sick. People just don't tend to understand.
13. Regarding working and career: There are days that I can barely move, but as a single mom, I have to keep going.
14. People would be surprised to know: I think that having the right to end my life when my children are grown and when I deem the pain too unbearable is really important.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: The opinions of others and the fact that this will probably be the death of me.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: It hasn't stopped me at all yet, I just have to think it through so that it doesn't do more damage.
17. The commercials about my illness: What commercials. This is an illness that effects 1.5 million people. There have been no new drugs in 50 years.
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: When I want to do something, just picking up and going.
19. It was really hard to have to give up: Being in the sunshine whenever I wanted. Sunscreen, check. Hat, check.
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Who has time for hobbies?
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Spend the whole day in the sunshine with my children.
22. My illness has taught me: That everyone has a story. Everyone struggles with something seen or unseen and that everyone needs compassion.
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: What do you mean you are tired, you haven't done anything in days.
24. But I love it when people: Are patient
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: Courage isn't always the roaring lion, sometimes it's the still small voice that says, "I will try again tomorrow".
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Your life isn't over. It's just changing.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How it has changed my thinking and taken me out of my box.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Brought my family dinner just because, they didn't even know I was having a hard time. I don't have a support system, so any little thing is so appreciated.
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: When people can't see that there is something wrong, they don't understand. People need to understand.
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Really, really good.



4 comments:
i read, and stangely, i feel better..hope you have a good day
It is wonderful that you can see the good through the bad and that the good is shining through.
Good for you!! I'm so glad you put up your list. I think everyone needs to do this list as I can already see an undeniable pattern. Hugs. Tammy
Jeannette, thanks for sharing your experience with lupus. Very brave. My brother's girlfriend has lupus and she's having a rough go of it. ((hugs to you))
Post a Comment